Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Life in Auckland

Hi Everyone! I don't have a lot of exciting news to write about since we have just been settling into classes and everything but I wanted to write a little bit about where I'm living and post some pictures so you can see! We had orientation events all last week. On Monday, we had our school orientation. It was a lot of lecturing about information we already knew. They had a local Maori tribe perform for us, which was really neat. Then, on Tuesday, we went to Waiheke Island! It's a 30 minute ferry ride from Auckland. It was beautiful! When we got there, it was chilly and raining but all we had to do was wait an hour and it was like paradise! We went for walks and explored the beach and then we went to dinner at another spot on the island. It was a really great day! On Tuesday, we went to Long Bay Beach for our dorm orientation. We had a barbecue there with everyone. It was pretty nasty weather but it was perfect for walking and just reading a book on the beach. I found some really neat shells! The next day, we went bowling with our friend's dorm and met some people from Germany and Sweden. It's really great to meet so many international students. I am learning a lot about other countries. I had my first day of classes today. My first class was at 8 AM and it was a Theology class called Reading the Bible. I was actually really frustrated because I feel like a lot of the material is way over my head! My second class was at 2 PM and it was called Schooling Ethnic Diversity. I absolutely love this one already! Tomorrow I have class at 4, which is Introduction to Maori Education. I think I might like that one the best. Then, on Thursday, I have class at 12 which is Child and Adolescent Development. I don't have class on Mondays or Fridays which is really good because then I can travel on the weekends! Our next adventure is going to be to Cathedral Cove, a peninsula on the north island (about 3 hour bus ride from Auckland). It's supposed to be amazing there! Also, our spring break plans are to travel to Australia for the first part of our two weeks off and then to fly back to the South Island and travel around there for the second week. It's going to be amazing! I'll keep everyone posted on how I'm doing! Don't forget to leave me messages :)

8 comments:

  1. hi jess...it's so nice to read up on your life in auckland...sounds so tough....really feel for you=) keep the pictures coming...i love that. can you take some of your neighborhood and the university? i'm interested in what it looks like. so let's see...23 credits in baltimore or 16 credits in new zealand...seems like you got all you deserved=) we love you and miss you...be safe, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica, it's Christèle from France
    Are you receiving me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually i just got the answer because i've just seen mom's comment.Well Jess what you doing is pretty amazing to me and you seem to be very busy and enjoy your time; Whaoo New Zealand!!it seems really excting and now i got internet and found the way to reach you, keep us posted on your journey Take care Jess Chris and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess,

    We had a beautiful birthday dinner with your sister, Frank, and David. We feel blessed. We miss you.

    Love, G and G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess!!!

    I'm in Arizona with Grandma and Grandpa (and Fwank!). We almost ate fish from New Zealand tonight!!! We love and miss you!

    Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was great talking to you last night (our time). All your pictures are wonderful!! Love you and we miss you, G&G...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pictures! It sounds like you're having a great time over there. I miss you love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi its granpa. Hope this finds you well. We love your pictures.We love you and hope you are having a grand experience. G&G

    ReplyDelete